Do You Have Sitting Disease?
We are a sedentary society, so many of us drive to work, work at a desk for 8 or more hours and then cozy up on the couch in the evening. All this sitting and inactivity is taking a toll on our health. There's even a name for it: Sitting Disease. Inactivity increases your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity. So how do you start combating sitting disease, and all its associated conditions? Get moving!
Here are a few easy tips to get more activity into your daily routine:
1. Get up and stretch at least every hour.
2. Stand to talk on the phone.
3. Walk to your co-workers desk and talk, instead of sending an email.
4. Take the stairs, even one or two flights counts.
5. Go for a walk around the block before work, at lunch, or after dinner (or all 3!).
6. Dust off the treadmill or exercise bike and walk or peddle while watching tv.
7. Start your day with a gentle QiGong movement series.
8. Park at the far end of the parking lot.
9. Take the bus? Get off a stop early and walk, or catch it one or two stops farther away than you usually do.
10. Meet a friend for a walk rather than at a cafe for coffee.
You don't have to do all of these, even adding one or two activities to your day can make a difference. Once you start feeling more energetic try adding more :)